The prosecution in the ongoing trial of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Tuesday told the Federal High Court in Abuja why the defendant was moved from the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to that of the Department of State Services (DSS).
PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that El-Rufai is facing a five-count charge over allegations that he admitted during a television interview to intercepting phone conversations involving the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Lead prosecuting counsel, Oluwole Aladedoye (SAN), told the court that the relocation followed alleged unruly conduct by some members of El-Rufai’s family.
Aladedoye recalled that on May 15, one of the former governor’s wives allegedly arrived at the ICPC facility with cameramen and livestreamed claims that her husband was being denied food and access to relatives.
He also accused politician, Timi Frank, of publishing claims suggesting El-Rufai could be harmed in custody, adding that the developments prompted security agencies to move him to DSS custody to avoid further controversy.
The prosecution further alleged that El-Rufai’s family used the media to portray the case as political persecution and criticised the conditions attached to the bail granted to him.
Responding, defence counsel, E.E. Ekere, denied knowledge of the allegations and argued that the defendant should not be held responsible for comments made outside the courtroom.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, while reacting, said she paid no attention to social media narratives and advised that online issues should remain outside court proceedings.
Witness Testifies On Intercepted Call
During proceedings, the court admitted in evidence a flash drive containing a 43-minute interview El-Rufai granted to Arise Television.
The prosecution witness, identified as APC, told the court that investigators interviewed the National Security Adviser, who confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had indeed taken place.
The witness said the ICPC chairman also confirmed discussing the matter with the NSA after portions of the interview were played to him.
Under cross-examination, the witness admitted that investigators did not examine communication devices, obtain IP addresses or conduct forensic analysis of the alleged interception.
The witness, however, insisted that El-Rufai repeatedly stood by his claim that the conversation had been intercepted and forwarded to him.
Justice Abdulmalik subsequently adjourned further hearing in the matter till June 22 and 23.

