United States President, Donald Trump, has explained why he will not attend the wedding ceremony of his son, Donald Trump Jr., and his fiancée, Bettina Anderson.
PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that the wedding is scheduled to hold this weekend in the Bahamas.
Trump said his duties as president and matters concerning the United States government would keep him in Washington, D.C., instead of travelling for the family event.
He made this known in a post shared on Truth Social on Friday, May 22.
The American president said he would have loved to be present at the wedding but decided to remain at the White House because of ongoing national matters demanding his attention.
He also congratulated the couple ahead of their marriage ceremony.
He wrote: “While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” the president wrote on Truth Social.
“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina!”
A day earlier, Trump had spoken to journalists about the possibility of missing the event.
According to him, the timing of the wedding clashed with pressing issues facing his administration, including matters linked to Iran and other government responsibilities.
He also said the wedding was expected to be a private gathering and admitted that whatever decision he made would attract criticism from the media.
The wedding will mark the second marriage for Donald Trump Jr. He was previously married to Vanessa Trump, with whom he shares five children. Their marriage ended in 2018 during Trump’s first term as US president.

