Lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency 1 in the Lagos State House of Assembly,
Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary on the grounds of alleged intimidation and political pressure against his supporters.
Elliot announced his withdrawal on Wednesday in the middle of the contest against Barakat Bakare-Odunuga, an ex-aide to Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
The lawmaker accused some party leaders in Surulere of creating an atmosphere of coercion and victimisation aimed at forcing party members to support a preferred aspirant.
According to him, supporters of his re-election bid, including party loyalists and some local government officials, had been threatened with political consequences if they failed to align with certain interests within the party structure.
“Intimidation, coercion, twisting, and forcing people to follow their own candidate is what exists today in Surulere,” Elliot said.
In a viral video circulating online, the actor-turned-politician said his supporters were prevented from participating in the primary process across several zones in the constituency.
“In all zones, they have been intimidating and stopping us. I want to officially announce my withdrawal from this particular race,” he said.
“This is my ward; if you go outside, those are my people. They have not been allowed. I am officially announcing my withdrawal from this race.”
Elliot first won election into the Lagos assembly in 2015, and has represented the Surulere 1 constituency for over a decade under the APC platform.

