Latest Today

No Ebola case in Nigeria – FG

Professor Muhammad Ali Pate

… Intensifies nat’l preparedness

ABUJA – The Federal Government has reassured Nigerians that no case of Ebola Virus Disease has been confirmed in the country, even as it steps up surveillance and preparedness measures nationwide in response to recent outbreaks in parts of Africa.

The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Pate, gave the assurance in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja by the Assistant Director of Information and Public Relations, Mr Ado Bako.

Pate explained that although Nigeria remains free of Ebola, the government has activated precautionary health measures following reported outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, aimed at strengthening national health security and preventing any possible importation of the disease.

He said surveillance systems had been reinforced across the country, with key health agencies, including the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) and Port Health Services, placed on heightened alert to monitor developments and respond swiftly to any suspected case.

According to him, the ministry is working in close collaboration with the World Health Organisation and regional health authorities to ensure early detection, rapid response, and effective coordination in the event of any public health threat.

“While Nigeria currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease, the Federal Government is taking all necessary proactive measures to strengthen national preparedness, surveillance and coordination mechanisms,” he said.

Pate noted that ongoing interventions include enhanced disease surveillance, improved monitoring activities nationwide, and strengthened screening procedures at all points of entry into the country.

He added that health declaration protocols have also been reinforced in partnership with Port Health Services to minimise the risk of importation.

He further disclosed that coordination with state ministries of health and other stakeholders had been intensified to ensure a unified and effective response structure across all levels of government.

The minister said laboratory preparedness and diagnostic capacity had also been upgraded to enable prompt detection and confirmation of any suspected cases, while infection prevention and control measures were being reinforced in health facilities nationwide.

He also said public awareness campaigns and community engagement efforts had been strengthened to keep citizens informed and alert without causing panic.

Pate urged Nigerians to remain calm, avoid misinformation, and adhere to basic preventive measures such as regular handwashing and avoiding contact with bodily fluids of persons showing symptoms of illness.

He advised that any unusual illness should be promptly reported to the nearest health facility for immediate investigation and medical attention, adding that healthcare workers have been directed to maintain a high index of suspicion, strictly follow infection prevention protocols, isolate suspected cases where necessary, and report through established public health channels.

He reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to safeguarding public health through coordinated preparedness, surveillance, and rapid response systems across the country.

Ebola Virus Disease is a severe and often fatal illness transmitted through direct contact with infected bodily fluids.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤