Latest Today

Olubadan Stops Planned Demolition of Houses in Capital City

Ladoja1

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja has ordered the stoppage of planned demolition of houses in the Oyo capital city.

Ladoja called for the cessation of the proposed demolition of about 200 houses at Isokan Estate extension, Alao Akala, and Elebu area in Ibadan.

As contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by the Olubadan media aide, Adeola Oloko, the renowned monarch gave the order on Tuesday in his Bodija residence following the second meeting he had with the relevant stakeholders.

The order, according to Oloko, saved the houses, many of whose rooftops have been removed, and marked for demolition was

Ladoja, who directed landlords whose house rooftops were removed to fix them back, also warned land grabbers to stay away from the area, as the disputed land is not up for grabs.

The stakeholders, at the meeting, agreed that fresh ground markings to determine the length and breadth of the land in question by independent surveyors be carried out, and tracked with the Oyo State Ministry of Lands.

“By so doing,we would be able to know who is trespassing whose land, and what next line of action to take.” Ladoja said as quoted in the statement following the agreement.

Meanwhile, the former Oyo governor and lawmaker commended the state’s new Police Commissioner, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, for prompt police presence in the area, when called, and ensuring that the crisis did not go out of hands.

According to Oloko, the Olubadan residence had been besieged by lorry loads of Isokan Extension landlords at 2.30pm on Sunday.

 

They told the Olubadan that their house rooftops had been removed on Thursday through Friday, awaiting demolition, following an Ibadan High Court judgement in favour of one Mogaji Olopade Taofeek Abiola,also known as Mogaji Oloyin.

Mogaji Oloyin had told Olubadan that 31 acres of land situated at Isokan Extension is his family inheritance, with a valid court judgement and survey plan.

He contended that he had tried to bring the attention of people concerned to the reality,and his effort to call the landlords to a negotiation table was rebuffed.

In his address to the monrach, Isiaq Olatunji, the Isokan Community spokesman told Olubadan that “apart from rooftops removed, some house fence had been pulled down, with the implication that we are all living in fear, and unless Kabiyesi Olubadan intrevenes, we might be displaced for no just cause.”

He stated further that neighbourhoods beyond Oloyin,which are not covered by the judgement like Alausa,Aromokun,Oluyedun are unduly threatened with the implication that over 400 houses might be demolished.

The Chairman, Association of Ibadan Mogajis, Chief Asimiyu Ariori, the Land Committee Secretary, Mogaji Odeku, Baale Apena and Olubadan’s personal aides were among people present at the meeting.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤