A governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Taraba State, David Sabo Kente, popularly known as DSK, has withdrawn from the party’s governorship primary scheduled to hold on Thursday, May 21, 2026.
PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that Kente announced his withdrawal on Wednesday during a press conference at his residence in Jalingo, opposite the DSS Quarters.
He said the decision followed wide consultations with political associates, religious leaders, traditional rulers and other stakeholders within and outside the state.
Kente disclosed that Governor Agbu Kefas, whom he described as his younger brother, had visited him shortly after his arrival in Jalingo and asked to be allowed to complete his remaining four years in office.
He said he did not immediately accept the request but asked for time to consult his supporters and stakeholders.
“As you are aware, His Excellency, Governor Agbu Kefas, my younger brother, visited me shortly after my arrival in Jalingo and requested that I allow him to complete his remaining four years. I asked for time to consult with my supporters and stakeholders,” Kente said.
According to him, the consultations later expanded beyond his political base, as leaders from different backgrounds urged him to consider the stability of the state.
“While I was still consulting, I came under immense pressure from leaders across religious, political, and ethnic divides, both within and outside the state, who are calling for political stability in our dear state and party,” he added.
Kente also criticised the conduct of the APC primaries in the state, alleging that the process had been compromised.
He claimed that longtime members of the party had been pushed aside by new entrants who now control the party structure.
The former aspirant said the recent National Assembly primaries in Taraba were allegedly marred by malpractice, making him lose confidence in the governorship primary.
“I have also observed with dismay the ongoing primaries of our party in the state and have concluded that nothing good can come out of it,” he said.
Kente said his withdrawal should not be interpreted as a result of financial inducement or personal settlement.
He insisted that his decision was taken in the interest of peace, political stability and unity within the APC and Taraba State.
“After due consultation with all relevant stakeholders, especially my political supporters who sacrificed their resources to purchase the expression of interest and nomination forms for me, I announce my decision to step aside from the race,” he stated.
“Let me emphasise that no one has settled me. My decision is strictly in the interest of political stability, peace, and unity of our party and the entire Taraba State.”
The APC chieftain said he had already invested heavily in his governorship project but chose to withdraw because he believed the interest of the state should come first.
He thanked his supporters, especially those who contributed resources towards the purchase of his expression of interest and nomination forms.
“This is not for any personal gain. On the contrary, I have already invested heavily in this project, but I must put the people first. That is why I have decided to step aside,” Kente said.

