Today News

2027: Turaki-led PDP faction clears Jonathan to contest 2027 presidency

Goodluck Jonathan

A faction of the Peoples Democratic Party led by Taminu Turaki has granted former President Goodluck Jonathan a waiver from undergoing its presidential screening process ahead of the 2027 election.

The chairman of the faction’s screening committee announced the decision on Tuesday, stating that Jonathan’s political experience made further screening unnecessary.

“He was a deputy governor, a governor, a vice president, and president, so he is qualified and there’s no need screening him, so we’re giving him a waiver,” the chairman said.

Jonathan had earlier indicated that he would begin consultations regarding the possibility of contesting the 2027 presidential election.

Meanwhile, a suit challenging the former president’s eligibility to seek the office again is currently before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The case, which was heard on Monday, has been adjourned until May 26 for judgment.

The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2102/2025, was filed by lawyer Johnmary Jideobi, who is seeking a declaration that Jonathan is constitutionally barred from contesting for president again, having already been sworn in twice — in 2010 and 2011.

Jonathan is listed as the first defendant, while the Independent National Electoral Commission and the Attorney-General of the Federation are named as second and third defendants respectively.

However, the plaintiff has reportedly failed to appear in court during the last three proceedings.

Jideobi is seeking an order restraining Jonathan from presenting himself to any political party as a presidential candidate in future elections.

According to the suit, Jonathan exhausted the constitutional limit for holding office as president after completing the tenure of the late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and subsequently serving a full four-year term after winning the 2011 election.

The lawyer also asked the court to prevent INEC from accepting, processing or publishing Jonathan’s name as a presidential candidate.

In the originating suit, the plaintiff requested the court to determine whether, under Sections 1(1), (2), (3) and 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution, Jonathan remains eligible to contest for the presidency under any circumstance.

The plaintiff further argued that unless the court intervenes, a political party could nominate Jonathan in violation of constitutional provisions.

An affidavit supporting the suit, deposed to by Emmanuel Agida, stated that Jonathan became president on May 6, 2010, following Yar’Adua’s death a day earlier.

Agida said reports suggesting Jonathan might contest the 2027 election prompted the legal action seeking constitutional clarification.

The affidavit argued that if Jonathan contests and wins another presidential election, he would be taking the oath of office as president for a third time.

It added that the suit was filed in the public interest to protect constitutional supremacy and preserve Nigeria’s constitutional order.

“The plaintiff believes that the first defendant, having completed the unexpired term of the late President Yar’Adua and subsequently served a full term after the 2011 election, has exhausted the constitutional limit of two tenures as president,” the affidavit stated.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤