By Chimezie Godfrey
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Monday denied allegations that it prevented family members of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, from accessing him in custody.
The anti-graft agency said the claims circulating in a viral video were misleading and inconsistent with established access procedures at its Abuja headquarters.
Addressing journalists, the ICPC Deputy Director and Head of Media and Public Communications, John Okor Odey, said the Commission’s visitor access policy permits entry between 9:00 am and 6:30 pm daily.
According to him, the policy existed before the current management and applies to all detainees.
“The claims are false and misleading,” Odey stated.
He said the controversy followed a Hausa-language video interview in which a woman identifying herself as El-Rufai’s wife alleged that she was denied entry around 7:00 pm to deliver food to the former governor.
The woman also alleged that the ICPC violated a court order allowing family access to the defendant.
But the Commission insisted that the woman arrived outside approved visiting hours and had earlier delivered meals to her husband on the same day.
Odey disclosed that ICPC records showed that one of El-Rufai’s wives and a housemaid visited the former governor at least three times between 10:30 am and 5:30 pm.
He added that the visits were documented in the Commission’s visitor register.
The ICPC also dismissed claims that medical personnel were denied access, saying officials merely requested identification and confirmation from the defendant as part of standard security checks.
According to the Commission, El-Rufai had recently been allowed to visit both his dentist and eye doctor under official escort.
The agency further said enhanced security measures around the former governor were necessary because of his status as a politically exposed person.
Odey said the Commission would not compromise its institutional security procedures under pressure or media campaigns.
“The ICPC remains focused on its mandate and will not compromise its security protocols under any circumstances,” he added.
The Commission reaffirmed its commitment to the rule of law and equal treatment of all persons in custody regardless of status.

