The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said the recent abduction in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists displaced from other parts of the country following intensified military operations.
PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that the military high command stated this on Thursday while reacting to what it described as “mischievous and misleading publications” over its comments on terrorists and criminal elements operating in the South-West.
In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, the DHQ, said the attackers were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group.
The DHQ said the group had been dislodged from other parts of the country as a result of sustained military offensives.
“The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement read.
The military denied reports suggesting that it described terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals.
“It is, therefore, inaccurate and misleading to suggest that the Defence Headquarters, at any point, referred to vicious and violent terrorists as criminals,” Onoja stated.
The Defence Headquarters said its earlier clarification on security developments in the South-West was meant to provide an intelligence-based context.
It added that the explanation was necessary to prevent misinformation and avoid unnecessary panic among residents.
The DHQ also said it did not undermine any elected official or downplay the gravity of the attack.
“At no time did the Defence Headquarters undermine the authority of any democratically elected leader or seek to diminish the gravity of the heinous crime committed against innocent citizens by terrorist elements,” the statement added.
Troops Deployed
The military said troops remained deployed across affected areas in collaboration with other security agencies and local stakeholders.
It said the deployment was aimed at dismantling terrorist and criminal networks threatening national peace and stability.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria remain resolute in dismantling all criminal and terrorist networks threatening the peace, stability and unity of the nation,” the statement said.
The clarification followed attacks on communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where armed terrorists abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.
The incident also left several people dead.
One of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.

