The Lagos State House of Assembly lawmaker, Desmond Elliot, has denied masterminding the impeachment plot against the assembly’s speaker, Mudashiru Obasa.
Elliot claimed he was out of the country as at the time the motion for Obasa’s impeachment was raised and signed- a development he described as shocking and confusing upon his return.
The lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency I made this known while speaking on the Channels TV’s Sunrise Daily programme on Tuesday.
Recalling the January 2025 leadership tussle at the Lagos Assembly, Elliot said he was in South Africa when the impeachment plot commenced.
The Nollywood actor turned politician claimed to have signed the petition for Obasa’s removal with the thought that it was Tinubu’s directives.
“I would like to state categorically that I wasn’t in the country. My wife and I travelled during the period of January 2025 when we were on recess.
“It was an opportunity for us to travel to attend my wife’s younger sister’s wedding.
“That was the time Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa was impeached. It came to me as a shock because I was in South Africa then.
“It took me about two days to come back. I was also as confused as everybody was and I saw that almost everybody has signed. Pretty much, we thought it was from the President in all fairness.” He said.
Elliot held that the lawmakers were directed to reinstate Obasa following Tinubu’s denial of being involved in the impeachment move.
“Of course, I pended my own signature. I was maybe 30 something person at that point in time because others that travelled had returned.
“Eventually, Mr. President called us and made us understand that it was not from him and asked us to return the speaker and we did.”
He said.
Meanwhile, speaking on the claim of Femi Gbajabiamila, the Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, who accused the lawmaker of nearly costing him his job, Elliot expressed surprise over the allegation.
NPO Reported that Gbajabiamila had during a meeting with Surulere stakeholders last week revealed how he nearly lost his job over Elliot’s involvement in the impeachment plot.
The former House of Representatives Speaker revealed being accused of encouraging Elliot to incite the impeachment move against Obasa.
He recounted receiving call from Tinubu who charged him to call the lawmaker to order.
Gbajabiamila further disclosed calling Elliot and directing him to issue a public statement apologising and announcing his withdrawal from the plot.
While admitting receiving phone calls from the President’s Chief of Staff, Elliot denied being directed to issue a public statement.
He claimed he had carried Gbajabiamila along and always seek his opinion in all his decisions.
“So, my leader coming to say this that he almost lost his job, the one I have served and has also been there for me for this long.
‘I spoke with him during that period. I always seek his opinion, especially when it comes to matters concerning the house and a decision has to be made. I always seek his opinion.
“He did speak with me at that period. He never at any point in time asked me to make a public opinion and I’m saying that categorically.” He said.
Elliot maintained that he will not speak against Gbajabiamila over his claims as he affirmed his loyalty to him.
“But at this point, like I always said in other information, I am not in a position to speak about my leader.
“My leader is in a position to speak about his subordinate. I can’t speak about my leader. I’m trained not to. You can call it acting wise. You can call it Omoluabi. You can say because I’m a Yoruba boy.
“It is just like when Ejiro speaks and Desmond is looking at his eyes. Or when Bimbo Manuel speaks. I can’t because these are leaders in that field.
“It also applies to my political world. I cannot look at the face of my leader whenever it comes to things like that.
“I listened very intently at his advice.” He said.
While debunking claim of influencing other lawmakers against Obasa, Elliot expressed surprise over Gbajabiamila’s revisitation of the case which he considered dead and buried.
“Yes, we spoke at that period and whatever he told me, I took to the house because I told him it will be very cowardly of me to single-handedly lead a bunch of 36 or 27 people and move to another side without taking chunk of people.
‘I told the chunk of people at that point in time. And you see, because it is a matter that is dead and buried, Mr. President said it is over.
“For my leader to bring the issue up at this political time I think it is somewhat quite surprising to me, especially with the kind of regard that I have shown him.” He said.
Elliot reiterated Gbajabiamila’s status as the political leader of Surulere.
He however decried being thrown under the bus with a case that Tinubu had resolved.
“In Surulere today, almost everybody knows that I have put my leader first in everything from football competition to LAGRIDE, to power.
“Whatever it is, I always make sure my leader comes first. I’m always second to him or third because I see leadership as one day, you will be there. I do that with pride even when people say why do you always do this. I do say it doesn’t matter.
“He is the leader of Surulere. That you must accord to him. So, when I’m seeing like being thrown under the bus at this point in time for an issue that has been dead and buried. Mr. President has said everything is gone.” He added.

