News

Court strikes out late Bayelsa deputy governor’s suit

Newsdiaryonline logo

By Taiye Agbaje

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday, struck out the lawsuit filed by the late former Deputy Governor of Bayelsa, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.

Ewhrudjakpo had initially sought an injunction to stop alleged impeachment proceedings stemming from his refusal to defect from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) alongside Gov. Douye Diri.

Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, struck out the suit after B.K. Angaye, who appeared for the Bayelsa  House of Assembly, Speaker and others, made the application to the effect.

When the case was called, no counsel appeared for the late Ewhrudjakpo, who passed away on Dec. 11, 2025.

However, Angaye announced appearance for the house of assembly, the speaker, the Attorney-General of Bayelsa, the clerk of the assembly, who were listed as 1st, 2nd, 5th and 7th defendants respectively.

On her part, Ifeaoma Okonkwo represented the director general of the Department of State Services (DSS).

Angaye then informed the court that the suit, which had been pending for a considearble period, had been overtaking by event.

“We apply that the matter be struck out my lord,” she said.

Okonkwo did not oppose the application and Justice Nwite consequently struck out the case.

“This matter is slated today for hearing but the defence counsel informed the court that this matter has been overtaken by event.

“Consequently, this matter is hereby struck out,” the judge ruled.

Ewhrudjakpo, who was the immediate-past deputy governor of Bayelsa, had filed the suit to challenge alleged ploy by the state assembly to impeach him following his refusal to defect alongside with Gov. Douye Diri from Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to All Progressives Congress (APC).

In the originating summons marked FHC/ABJ/CS/221/2025, Ewhrudjakpo alleged that members of the Bayelsa assembly were under pressure to remove him from office for refusing to resign from PDP — the platform on which he and Diri were elected.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Diri had, on Nov. 3, 2025, resigned from the PDP, but Ewhrudjakpo had remained in the party.

The late deputy governor, through his lawyer, Reuben Egwuaba, sought several interim orders.

These included an order restraining the state assembly from removing or impeaching him in violation of Sections 188(5)-(9), (11) and 36(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), on the grounds of his refusal to defect from the PDP to APC or any other political party before the end of his tenure.

He also sought an order restraining the assembly from initiating or conducting impeachment proceedings or meetings against him for the same reason and from recognising or dealing with any member of the APC as deputy governor of the state.

Additionally, Ewhrudjakpo sought an order restraining the Inspector-General (I-G), DS of DSS, and the Bayelsa A-G from withdrawing his security protection as deputy governor pending the determination of the motion on notice.

After Egwuaba moved the ex-parte motion on Oct. 27, 2025, Justice Nwite directed the defendants to appear before the court and show cause why the interim orders sought by the plaintiff should not be granted.

The judge said granting the order for the defendants to appear would serve the interest of justice.

Listed as defendants were the state’s house of assembly, its speaker, the I-G, the DG of the DSS, the Bayelsa A-G, the state’s chief judge, and the clerk of the assembly as 1st to 7th defendants respectively.

The late Ewhrudjakpo was said to have collapsed in his office in Yenagoa and was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, where he was pronounced dead on Dec. 11, 2025, and was laid to rest on Jan. 30, 2026.

Dr Peter Pereotubo Akpe was officially sworn in as the new deputy governor on Feb. 25 to fill the vacancy left by the death of Ewhrudjakpo.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤