Radio Caroline, which broadcasts across southern England and the Midlands, mistakenly triggered the official “Death of a Monarch” protocol on Tuesday afternoon. The announcement was followed by the national anthem, God Save the King, before normal programming suddenly stopped.
Several listeners said the interruption caused confusion and panic. One online listener explained that the usual broadcast ended abruptly before presenters announced that regular programming had been suspended. The station then reportedly went silent for around 15 minutes.
Read related news:
King Charles III to visit US despite calls for delay amid Iran war
King Charles, Prince William plan US visits to boost trade
King Charles, Queen Camilla welcome Trump to UK amid protests
After broadcasting resumed, the presenters apologised to listeners and clarified that the announcement had been made in error.
Station manager Peter Moore later addressed the incident in a Facebook statement.
He wrote: “Due to a computer error at our main studio, the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (19 May), mistakenly announcing that His Majesty the King had passed away.
“Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology.
“Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen’s, and now the King’s, Christmas Message and we hope to do so for many years to come.
“We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused.”
The incident quickly drew reactions online, with some listeners admitting they initially believed the announcement was genuine.
One person wrote: “It was a shock, but after telling my wife and neighbours I realised it was a mistake — and perhaps it was the relief, but then the laughter set in.”
Another listener described rushing indoors to tell his wife the King had died, only for her to question the report because the monarch had appeared publicly the previous day at the Royal Chelsea Flower Show.
The mistaken announcement came as King Charles III and Queen Camilla were visiting Belfast during their first trip to Northern Ireland this year.
The royal couple attended an event at Belfast’s Titanic Quarter to mark the city hosting this year’s Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, regarded as the world’s largest festival of Irish music and dance.
Their three-day visit has taken place under heightened security amid concerns over increased dissident republican activity in recent months.
King Charles, 77, revealed in 2024 that he was undergoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer. Palace officials have since said his recovery is progressing well, and he has returned to a fuller schedule of public duties.

