Latest Today

Tinubu Govt Begins Payment Of 2025 Allowances To Nigerian Students Abroad

tunji alausa
News

The Federal Government has commenced the disbursement of outstanding 2025 allowances to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement Scholarship Programme studying in partner countries abroad.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Wednesday by the Federal Ministry of Education and signed by the ministry’s Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade.

PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that the statement was also reposted on 𝕏 by the Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to President Bola Tinubu, Bayo Onanuga.

According to the ministry, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions in the countries where the affected scholars are studying.

The ministry said the remittance was to enable immediate payment to eligible beneficiaries of the scholarship programme.

“The Central Bank of Nigeria has successfully remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars,” the statement read.

The Bilateral Education Agreement Scholarship Programme was designed to support Nigerian students studying in partner countries through financial assistance from the Federal Government.

Although the programme has since been discontinued, some beneficiaries have repeatedly complained about delays in the payment of their allowances.

Many of the affected scholars said the delay had exposed them to financial hardship in their countries of study.

Commenting on the development, the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, said the funds released represented 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025.

Alausa noted that efforts were ongoing to ensure that the remaining balance was also paid.

According to the statement, the minister explained that the released funds had already been received in the accounts of Nigerian embassies and missions.

He added that the affected missions were expected to begin payment to the beneficiaries immediately.

Alausa also urged the scholars to monitor their accounts as the payments begin to reflect.

PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that the latest disbursement is expected to provide relief for Nigerian scholars abroad who have been waiting for the payment of their allowances.

Some beneficiaries of the discontinued programme had earlier raised concerns over the delayed payments, saying the situation had made it difficult for them to meet basic financial obligations while studying outside the country.

The ministry said the Federal Government remained committed to meeting its obligations to Nigerian students abroad.

Tinubu Committed To Students’ Welfare – Alausa

Alausa said the payment reflected President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students abroad under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

He said the administration would continue to prioritise policies that support quality education, student welfare and national human capital development.

The Federal Government also reaffirmed its commitment to sustaining efforts aimed at promoting the welfare of Nigerian scholars and strengthening the country’s education sector.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤