Politics

Senator Shehu Buba withdraws from APC Bauchi governorship primary

Shehu Buba

Senator Shehu Buba Umar has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in Bauchi State scheduled for tomorrow, May 21, 2026, citing alleged irregularities and violations of electoral laws and party guidelines.

The senator, who represents Bauchi South Senatorial District in the 10th Senate, announced his withdrawal in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Communications, Sabo Muhammad.

According to the statement, the decision followed what the senator described as widespread breaches of the 1999 Constitution, the Electoral Act 2026, the APC Constitution 2022 (as amended), and the party’s electoral guidelines.

Shehu Buba alleged that the APC in Bauchi State had been engulfed in leadership crises involving key state executive positions, including the offices of the State Secretary and Organising Secretary, a development he said negatively affected the conduct of the ward, local government and state congresses.

The senator stated that despite several efforts by him and other stakeholders to resolve the issues within the party, no meaningful progress was achieved.

He maintained that his participation in the governorship race was guided by the APC’s principles of internal democracy and the rule of law as enshrined in the party’s constitution.

The statement quoted Article 7(ix) and (x) of the APC Constitution, which emphasises the promotion of internal democracy and observance of the rule of law.

Shehu Buba also referenced President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s call for fairness and a level playing field for all aspirants ahead of the party primaries.

However, he alleged that the conduct of the primaries for the House of Representatives and Senate seats fell short of democratic standards.

The senator accused party officials of allegedly operating from undisclosed hotels in Bauchi State and releasing what he described as predetermined results without conducting actual elections at designated venues.

According to him, no electoral officials were seen at polling locations during the ongoing primaries, while aspirants were allegedly not informed about election venues, collation centres or the distribution of election materials.

He further claimed that only “prearranged winners” appeared to have prior knowledge of the process.

The senator said his decision to withdraw was reached after consultations with supporters, political associates, family members and stakeholders.

He urged his supporters and party loyalists to remain calm and steadfast despite the situation, while expressing appreciation to President Tinubu for his leadership of the party and the country.

Shehu Buba also pledged continued support for the president ahead of the forthcoming general elections.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤