Latest Today

Police Begin Forensic Analysis Of Viral Video Linked To Oyo School Abduction

Nigeria Police Logo

The Oyo State Police Command has confirmed that it is examining a viral video linked to Friday’s abduction of pupils, students and staff members in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.

The video, which has been circulating across social media and other platforms, is said to be connected to the attack on schools in Yawota and Esiele communities.

The command, in a statement issued on Sunday by its Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said the footage had been received and was already undergoing forensic review.

Ayanlade said, “Consequently, the footage is presently undergoing comprehensive forensic examination to determine its authenticity and further aid ongoing investigations, rescue operations, as well as the identification and arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act.”

The police said the examination of the video would form part of ongoing efforts to trace the attackers and rescue the abducted victims.

PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that the attack occurred on Friday when armed men invaded schools in Oriire Local Government Area.

The affected schools included Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, and Community Grammar School/L.A. Primary School, Esiele.

The police had earlier said preliminary investigations showed that the assailants operated on motorcycles and carried out coordinated attacks on the schools, abducting pupils, students and staff members, including the Vice Principal, Alamu Folawe.

The attackers were also said to have taken away a Toyota Corolla belonging to the abducted vice principal before setting it ablaze on a road leading towards the forest.

The command had clarified that no pupil or student had been confirmed dead as of the earlier police report. However, an assistant headmaster identified as Adesiyan and a commercial motorcyclist were reportedly killed during the attack.

Ayanlade said the command was working with other security agencies to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons.

He said, “Following the commencement of these investigative procedures, the command reassures residents of its unwavering commitment towards ensuring the safe return and reunification of all abducted persons with their families.

“To this end, intensive operational, intelligence-driven, and tactical efforts in collaboration with other security agencies are ongoing to secure the victims unharmed and bring all those responsible to justice.”

The police said tactical teams, intelligence platforms and other operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities to prevent further breakdown of law and order and support the rescue operation.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, had earlier led operatives and other service commanders to the affected communities for an on-the-spot assessment and operational coordination.

The latest police update came as the Oyo State Government also moved to calm residents of the affected communities.

The Deputy Governor, Adebayo Lawal, on Sunday led a government delegation to Yawota and Esiele, where he met with families of the victims and assured them that those abducted would be rescued.

Lawal said the government had responded swiftly to the incident, adding that security operatives had engaged the suspected kidnappers in the bush.

“We have pacified the residents and given assurances that those abducted will be rescued and brought back,” Lawal said after visiting victims at LAUTECH Teaching Hospital and Bowen University Teaching Hospital in Ogbomoso.

The deputy governor, however, said the exact number of those abducted had not been established.

“Until we do proper verification, we cannot put a figure to those abducted. For now, figures circulating in the media cannot be taken as correct,” he said.

He said security forces, including the police, Department of State Services, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, the Garrison Commander and local hunters, were still combing the bush in pursuit of the attackers.

Residents Urged To Avoid Unverified Information

The police command appealed to residents to remain calm and continue to cooperate with security agencies.

Ayanlade urged members of the public to provide credible and timely information that could assist ongoing rescue operations and investigations.

He said, “Members of the public are equally advised to refrain from sharing unverified information, misleading content, or materials capable of heightening tension and creating unnecessary panic, as such situations are often exploited by criminal elements and enemies of peace to further their sinister objectives.

“Consequently, anyone with useful information capable of aiding the ongoing investigation, rescue operations, and arrest of the perpetrators is encouraged to promptly relay same to the appropriate authorities or nearest security agency for immediate action.”

The command reassured residents that no effort would be spared in ensuring the safe rescue and reunification of the abducted victims with their families.

Ayanlade added that the command remained committed to restoring normalcy in the affected communities and ensuring that all those connected with the attack are brought to justice in accordance with the law.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤