Latest Today

Makinde Confirms Abduction Of Seven Teachers In Oyo

Oyo State Governor Engr Seyi Makinde
News

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.

PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that Makinde said the exact number of missing pupils was still being verified.

The governor spoke on Sunday after meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state. Makinde said an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack.

He added that six suspects had been arrested within the affected community, while three other persons of interest were also in custody.

“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde said.

The governor said the attackers were believed to be members of armed groups fleeing military pressure in the North-West.

Makinde further stated, “With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward.

“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points.”

Makinde said the state would combine security operations with engagement of community and religious leaders, including the Baptist Convention.

“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.

He assured families that the government was working to secure the victims’ release.

“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” Makinde said.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤