Politics

NDC Clears Peter Obi As Sole Presidential Aspirant

Peter Obi emerge NDC Presidential candidate
Politics

The national screening committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has cleared former Anambra State governor, Peter Obi, as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its forthcoming primaries.

PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that Obi arrived at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja around 6:45 pm on Tuesday in the company of the senator representing Anambra Central, Victor Umeh.

He was subsequently screened by the committee headed by a former Minister of Education, Sam Egwu.

Speaking after the exercise, Egwu said the committee was satisfied with Obi’s performance during the screening.

He said the former governor gave satisfactory answers to questions asked by members of the panel and met the constitutional and electoral requirements to contest the party’s presidential primary.

“This is to certify that following the screening of the presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), His Excellency Peter Obi, and being satisfied that he has complied with all the requirements of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all provisions of the Electoral Act, and the satisfactory answers given by him to all the questions from members of the national screening committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on a date to be announced by the party. Congratulations,” Egwu said.

Egwu thereafter presented Obi with an official clearance letter and the party’s nomination form numbered 001.

Party Extends Form Deadline

Obi had picked up the NDC presidential nomination and expression of interest forms on Sunday, May 17, the initial deadline set by the party for aspirants to collect the forms.

The party, however, extended the deadline for the collection of forms for other categories of aspirants to May 24.

It said the extension was to allow more aspirants to obtain forms.

According to the party, the return of completed nomination forms by screened and cleared aspirants would begin on Wednesday, May 20, and close on May 26.

The NDC, however, said the deadline for the collection of presidential nomination forms had not been extended, adding that the process had already closed.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤