Mamman’s arrest came less than a week after a court ordered security agencies to apprehend him following his conviction on 12 counts bordering on the alleged fraud.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed the development during a media briefing in Abuja.
According to him, the former minister was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna after operatives carried out extensive intelligence gathering and surveillance operations.
Olukoyede said: “Ladies and gentlemen, you will recall that sometime in January 2025, charges were finally filed against the former Minister for allegedly obtaining over N33 billion meant for the Mambilla and other power projects.
“About 14 or 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured conviction on all 12 counts.
“However, because the main defendant was not present, the issue of sentencing was deferred.
“On the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia. Since then, we have intensified our intelligence, surveillance and recovery operations in search of him.
“I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kaduna.”
Olukoyede described the arrest as proof of the Federal Government’s resolve to fight corruption, warning that public officials accused of looting public funds would eventually face justice.
He said: “This is a testament to the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption and an assurance to Nigerians that anyone who has looted government and national resources will not go unpunished.
“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are.”
He added that the commission would leave no stone unturned in investigating and prosecuting anyone found to have stolen public funds.
Asked whether Mamman was in EFCC custody, Olukoyede replied: “Yes, he is in our custody at the moment.”
On whether the convict had been transferred to a correctional facility, the EFCC chairman said the process was ongoing because the arrest took place in the early hours of Tuesday.
“That is fine. I told you the man was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, and there was no way we could immediately take him to a correctional facility. We have our own facilities,” he said.
Olukoyede also disclosed that two other persons were arrested during the operation, saying investigators believed the former minister had been shielded while evading arrest.
He said, “We discovered that he was actually being protected. At the location where we effected the arrest, we arrested two other Nigerians, including individuals linked to the property where he was found.
“They are currently under investigation because it is a crime to harbour, protect or provide shelter for a convicted felon.”
The EFCC chairman said the commission had also uncovered another property suspected to belong to Mamman and was moving to recover additional assets linked to him.
The EFCC chairman said, “He was arrested in the Rigasa area of Kaduna. With respect to other properties we suspect belong to him, as a matter of fact, just a few days ago we discovered another one. We are seeking to go after those properties as well.
“But with respect to the properties already tied to the charges before the court, those are the ones currently under legal process.”

