Connect with us


Police arrest husband as mother of ‘mummy calm down’ boy kills herself



mommy calm down

Operatives of the Edo State Police Command have arrested the husband of Mrs. Toluige Olokoobi after she allegedly committed suicide.

Olokoobi was the mother of Oreofeoluwa Lawal-Babalola, a little boy whose video went viral in 2020 after he pleaded with his mother, “Mummy, be calming down.”

Oreofeoluwa rose to fame on social media after a video of him crying in an attempt to confidently appeal to his mother, who chastised him, went viral.

The video inspired Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who used it to deliver an Eid-el-Kabir appeal to Muslims and Lagos people in general to remain calm during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Following that, the youngster and his family met with the governor, who praised his bravery and poise.

While little has been heard about the family in three years, heartbreaking news broke on social media on Tuesday that the boy’s mother had committed suicide.

Announcing her demise, an X user wrote that Olokoobi committed suicide in Benin, the capital of Edo State, due to undisclosed reasons.

The X user, who stated that he was present at the scene on Monday afternoon, went on to say that she had refused to disclose her difficulties with anyone before committing suicide.

Meanwhile, in a discussion with BBC Pidgin, the Edo state police command’s spokeswoman, Chidi Nwabuzor, confirmed Olokoobi’s death and stated her husband had been arrested and detained for questioning.

“The woman in the viral Mummy Calm down video has just committed suicide here in Benin,” he wrote.

“She refused to speak to anyone about her problems. She left three kids for her husband including the popular Mummy Calm Down boy.”

Nwabuzor noted that the husband reported the matter to the police.

According to the police spokesperson, the husband stated that “he came home from the market when he saw his wife hanging with rope on her neck”.

Nwabuzor further stated that she was rushed to the hospital and then to the mortuary after she was confirmed dead.