Connect with us

News

Diddy stripped of his honorary Howard University degree

Published

on

Diddy

Sean “Diddy” Combs’ honorary degree at historically black Howard University in Washington, DC, has been revoked by the university’s board. 

CNN released a CCTV video showing the hip-hop producer striking his ex-girlfriend in a hotel hallway, which prompted the statement.

According to a statement issued on Friday, his “behaviour as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally incompatible with Howard University’s core values and beliefs that he is deemed no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honour.”

Following the release of the video last month, the rapper expressed regret for the insult directed at singer Cassandra “Cassie” Ventura.

“I was disgusted when I did it. I’m disgusted now,” Diddy said in his statement.

“I went, and I sought out professional help. I got into going to therapy and rehab. I had to ask God for his mercy and grace. I’m so sorry.”

In 2014, Mr. Combs received the degree from Howard University.

In a statement, it announced that it will also cease a 2016 “gift agreement” with the rapper and a scholarship awarded in his honour.

He donated $1 million (£785,000) through his foundation as part of that arrangement. An inquiry for comment was not answered by the Sean Combs Foundation.

According to a statement from the institution, all records that show holders of honorary degrees will no longer include Mr. Combs’ name.

“The University is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence,” the statement said.

The musician is the target of lawsuits from four women, including Ms. Ventura, his longtime lover from years ago, who claims he abused her physically and sexually.

The case filed by Ms. Ventura was resolved in November, and Diddy has refuted any claims of sexual assault.

In a statement issued last December, Diddy defended himself against what he described as “sickening allegations” made by “individuals looking for a quick payday.”.

“Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged,” he said, adding that he would fight to clear his name.

The celebrity’s two homes were raided by federal officials in March “as part of an ongoing investigation” into sex trafficking.

His attorney upheld his client’s innocence and described the incident as an “unprecedented ambush” and a “gross overuse of military-level force.”

Trending