Seyi Makinde, the governor of Oyo State has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area, while the exact number of missing pupils is still being determined.
Makinde disclosed this on Sunday while briefing journalists on the security situation following the invasion of schools in the area by suspected gunmen.
The governor said he had earlier met with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state to receive updates on the incident.
According to him, an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, while security agencies had arrested six suspects within the community and three additional persons of interest in connection with the abduction.
Makinde said preliminary intelligence suggested that some of those arrested may have served as informants for the attackers.
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” he said.
The governor stated that the attackers were believed to be members of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said.
“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points.”
Makinde added that he had been engaging with authorities in neighbouring states over the growing security threat posed by displaced terrorist groups seeking refuge in areas with weaker security coverage.
He stressed that the state government would not rely solely on military operations to address the crisis, saying consultations were ongoing with religious and community leaders, including officials of the Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools belongs to the church.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.
The governor appealed to residents to remain calm and assured families of the abducted victims that efforts were underway to secure their safe release.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” Makinde assured.
Describing the incident as “very difficult and challenging,” the governor announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to keep residents informed about rescue operations and ongoing security efforts.

