Today News

Publish names of firms involved in $460m Abuja CCTV deal -SERAP urges FG

20260222 154758

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the federal government to publish the names of all firms, contractors, subcontractors, consultants, and vendors involved in the $460 million Abuja CCTV project.

SERAP made the call in a letter dated May 23, 2026, signed by Kolawole Oluwadare, its deputy director and addressed to Taiwo Oyedele, the minister of finance and coordinating minister of the economy.

The organisation said Nigerians still do not have full information on how the funds for the National Public Security Communication System—commonly referred to as the Abuja CCTV project—were spent.

It also demanded details of payments made, project execution status, and outstanding deliverables, noting that earlier responses from the ministry had failed to provide comprehensive subcontracting records.

According to SERAP, the Federal Ministry of Finance had previously stated that there were no detailed records identifying specific Nigerian companies that directly received funds from the Chinese loan, despite indications that local subcontractors were involved.

SERAP said this position raised concerns about transparency, accountability, and proper record-keeping in the handling of the project.

“We are concerned that although the judgment was delivered in May 2023, the Ministry only released some information after we commenced contempt proceedings and served a Notice to Show Cause in January 2026,” SERAP said.

The group referenced a 2023 Federal High Court judgment ordering full disclosure of all contractors, funding details, and implementation status of the project, saying compliance had been only partial.

It further alleged that over 6,000 items linked to the project remain unaccounted for, including questions about installation, functionality, and value for money.

SERAP stressed that full disclosure was necessary to uphold the rule of law, especially as Nigerians continue to service the debt used to finance the project.

The organisation called on the Federal Government to publish the names of all Nigerian companies involved, the amounts paid to each contractor, and a detailed breakdown of project implementation and completion status.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤