Latest Today

Oyo Government Clarifies Reports On Release Of Abducted Pupils, Teachers

Oyo State Governor Engr Seyi Makinde
News

The Oyo State Government has denied reports claiming that teachers and students abducted during last Friday’s attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area have been released.

PrimeTimes Nigeria reports that the state government described the viral social media claims as false, saying the victims were still in captivity as of Thursday morning.

The Special Adviser on Security to Governor Seyi Makinde, Abayomi Fagbenro, reacted after several online posts began circulating on Wednesday night, claiming that the kidnapped teachers and students had regained freedom.

The attack occurred in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota area of Ogbomoso in Oriire Local Government Area, where gunmen invaded three schools.

The incident led to the death of at least two persons, while about 30 teachers and students were abducted.

As the reports spread online, many social media users shared different claims about the situation. While some insisted the victims had been released, others doubted the reports because no major media organization had confirmed the development.

Responding to enquiries on Thursday, Fagbenro stated that the reports were not true and said there had been no release of the abducted victims at the time of his response.

As of 10:35 am, it’s not true,” Fagbenro told Punch.

Also reacting, the spokesperson of the Oyo State Police Command, Olayinka Ayanlade, said he was not aware of any release of the kidnapped teachers and students.

He added that security agencies were still making efforts to rescue those being held by the kidnappers.

Following the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, ordered the deployment of more detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to join the ongoing operation aimed at rescuing the victims.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤