Breaking

Military confirms over 20 ISIS fighters killed in Joint US-Nigeria air strikes

RTX6MZGR

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says coordinated air operations involving Nigerian forces and the United States have led to the killing of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP militants in Metele, Borno State.

In a statement issued on Monday by the Director of Defence Information, Samaila Uba, the military said the strikes were launched after intelligence showed movement and regrouping of terrorist elements in the area.

He explained that the latest operation forms part of wider efforts to dismantle extremist networks, especially following the reported killing of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki.

“The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any haven within Nigeria,” the DHQ said.

It added that the armed forces remain committed to defending Nigeria’s territorial integrity and would continue offensive operations against terrorist groups across the country.

“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” the statement added.

The United States Africa Command (US AFRICOM) also confirmed the strikes, saying they were carried out on Sunday in collaboration with Nigerian forces against ISIS targets in northeastern Nigeria.

“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed,” AFRICOM stated.

It further noted that the operation had weakened the group’s ability to coordinate attacks against both local and international interests.

The latest development follows US President Donald Trump’s earlier claim that the ISIS second-in-command, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, was killed in a joint mission involving Nigerian and American troops.

Read more news:

ISIS deputy leader killed in joint US-Nigeria operation

Tinubu confirms US joint counterterrorism operation killing of ISIS deputy leader

Report: Saudi Arabia carried out covert strikes on Iran during Middle East conflict

US President Donald Trump had said Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as the second-in-command of ISIS globally, had been killed during a joint military operation involving American and Nigerian forces.

Trump disclosed this in a social media post early Saturday, saying the operation was a carefully coordinated mission carried out at his direction.

“Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield,” Trump wrote.

“Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing.

“He will no longer terrorise the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans.

“With his removal, ISIS’s global operation is greatly diminished.”

Trump also thanked the Nigerian government for what he described as its cooperation and partnership in the operation.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤