Economy

“Halogen Security Breached Duty Of Care” — Court Finds Firm, Osborne Estate Association Negligent Over Ikoyi Burglary, Awards ₦3m Damages

Halogen Security C

*Says Online Valuations Not Enough To Prove $108,700 Claim

The High Court of Lagos State, sitting at the Commercial Court House, Tapa Street, Lagos, has declared that the Registered Trustees of Osborne Estate Property Owners & Residents Association and Halogen Security Co. Limited are jointly and severally liable for negligently handling the security of a resident’s home, finding that the defendants breached their duty of care by granting access to burglars through an improper security protocol  but dismissed the resident’s claims for the value of stolen luxury items worth over $108,700 and cash of $2,450 and N945,000 on the grounds that he failed to strictly prove the value and ownership of the items.

The judgment was delivered on May 4, 2026, by Hon. Justice K.A. Jose (Mrs.) in Suit No. LD/ADR/4419/2022 between Charles Obioha as Claimant and the Osborne Estate Association (1st Defendant) and Halogen Security (2nd Defendant).

The court awarded N3 million as general damages for psychological trauma, pain and suffering caused by the defendants’ negligence, applied the doctrine of contributory negligence to reduce the award from the N10 million claimed, awarded N500,000 in costs, and ordered post-judgment interest at 10 per cent per annum until liquidation. The court also dismissed the 1st Defendant’s N18.5 million counterclaim in its entirety.

The Facts: A Chef, A CUG Line, and a Burglary

The case arose from a burglary that occurred on Friday, April 15, 2022, at the residence of Charles Obioha within the Osborne Foreshore Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos State  one of the most exclusive residential estates in Nigeria.

Obioha, who had travelled out of the country, received information from a domestic staff member that his residence had been burgled. His chef, who was supposed to be at his wife’s shop at Maryland during the day, had remained at the residence claiming stomach upset. The chef subsequently confessed to police that he had invited a team of burglars and members of his criminal gang to carry out the burglary.

The burglars broke into the claimant’s bedroom, destroyed his safe, and made away with luxury items including two Rolex wristwatches valued at $40,000, a Cartier wristwatch ($10,000), an Armani wristwatch ($8,000), a diamond necklace set ($14,000), gold chains, jewellery sets, Hermes bangles, and other valuables totalling $108,700 and N750,000, plus cash of $2,450 and N945,000.

How the Burglars Got In: The Central Dispute

The critical issue before the court was how the burglars gained access to the estate and, by extension, the claimant’s residence.

The estate’s security protocol required that visitors be admitted only through one of three methods: a resident generating an access code from a mobile application, a resident personally calling the security gate with their registered mobile number, or through a CUG (Closed User Group) line which the defendants said was available only to commercial residents.

Obioha’s case was that he did not generate any access code for the burglars, did not call the security gate to clear them, and that the defendants negligently allowed them entry. The defendants countered that the claimant had given a CUG line to security operatives at the Mambilla Estate gate a separate gate within the broader Osborne estate complex near the claimant’s residence and that his chef had been using this line to clear visitors for over a year with the claimant’s knowledge.

Justice Jose found that the evidence of both defendants showed that the proper modes of granting visitor access were either by mobile app or by direct call from the resident. The court also accepted the defendants’ evidence that the claimant had allowed his chef to clear guests through the CUG line at the Mambilla gate.

However, the court made a critical distinction. The CUG line arrangement was for the Mambilla gate not the main estate gate. The defendants themselves had pleaded that the CUG line was not a proper mode of clearing visitors, yet their security operatives at the main gate relied on a call made on that very line to admit the burglars.

“There were some blurred lines as the 2nd Defendant’s operatives at the main gate were not expected to rely on the CUG line given to its operatives at the Mambilla gate to clear in visitors,” Justice Jose held. “This is because the 2nd Defendant’s contract with the 1st Defendant was different from its contract with the Mambilla Estate so it should have used the protocol of the 1st Defendant to clear in guests through the main gate of the estate.”

The court held that the guests ought to have been cleared at the estate’s main gate in line with the protocol of using the access code or personal line of the resident not through the informal CUG line arrangement that existed at a different gate. The defendants therefore breached their duty of care.

Justice Jose applied the three ingredients of the tort of negligence as established by the Supreme Court in Makwe v. Nwuko (2001): the existence of a duty of care, failure to attain the standard of care prescribed by law, and damage connected to the breach.

On the existence of a duty of care, the court rejected the defendants’ argument that they owed no duty of care to the claimant. Applying the landmark principles from Donoghue v. Stevenson (1932) and Anns v. Merton London Borough Council (1977) as adopted by the Supreme Court in Anyah v. Imo Concorde Hotels Ltd (2002) and Abusonwan v. Merchantile Bank of Nigeria Ltd (1987), Justice Jose held that the defendants’ actions in granting access to visitors could affect the claimant positively or negatively, and they therefore stood in a position where they owed him a duty of care.

On the standard of care, the court found that the defendants failed to meet the standard they had set for themselves by clearing visitors through an improper protocol.

The court also addressed the claimant’s allegation that the defendants failed to preserve CCTV footage after the burglary. Justice Jose held that once the defendants became aware of the burglary, they should have made efforts to preserve the CCTV for investigation purposes.

🚨Watch The Full Video ➤