A cryptic social media post by US President Donald Trump has triggered speculation about whether the ongoing US-Iran peace talks have collapsed, which may reignite the military conflict between Tehran and Washington amid a fragile ceasefire.
What did Trump’s post mean?
“Adios”, Trump captioned a Truth Social post accompanied by an AI-generated image showing Iran-flagged speedboats being bombed at sea, presumably in the Strait of Hormuz, by what looks like a MQ-9 Predator drone.
The dramatic AI image shared by Trump has sparked speculations about the state of US-Iran negotiations even as US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters in New Delhi earlier today to expect “some good news” in a few hours, suggesting that a US-Iran peace deal may be close.
Did Rubio hint at a US-Iran peace deal?
Addressing a joint presser alongside External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, Rubio had said that further announcements on the matter could come later in the day from Trump.
“On the Iran situation, there’ll be, I believe, maybe more news coming out a little bit later today on this topic, and I’ll leave it to the President to make further announcements on it. We think we’ve made some progress on the outline of something that, if it works, could give us that outcome,” he said.
ALSO READ: US-Iran peace deal to be announced today? Rubio hails ‘significant progress’ in…, says ‘good news’ may come…
On the Strait of Hormuz issue, Rubio said “there is the possibility that over the next few hours, the world will get some good news”, hinting that a US-Iran peace deal may be reached soon.
Where do US-Iran talks stand?
Earlier, Trump said on Saturday that the United States and Iran have reached a memorandum of understanding for peace, asserting that the deal “has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries”.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei also spoke of “a trend towards rapprochement” with Washington, but warned that “it does not necessarily mean that we and the United States will reach an agreement on the important issues.”
According to Baqaei, Tehran’s “intention was first to draft a memorandum of understanding, a kind of framework agreement,” before a final deal is reached within 30 to 60 days.
However, Trump’s ominous Truth Social post has fueled speculations about the collapse of US-Iran negotiations, though neither side has issued any official confirmation so far.
First published on: May 24, 2026 10:14 PM IST
Get Breaking News First and Latest Updates from India and around the world on News24. Follow News24 on Facebook, Twitter.
End of Article
Related Story









